2 Tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1 Tablespoon curry powder
2½ cups chicken stock
½ cup whipping cream
½ cup sour cream (optional)
chopped fresh chives (optional)
1. Melt butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onions; sauté 4 minutes.
3. Add apples; sauté until apples begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
4. Add curry and cook 15 seconds.
5. Gradually stir in stock.
6. Increase heat and simmer until apples are tender, ~10 minutes.
7. Add cream and simmer 5 minutes.
Can be prepared 2 hours ahead:
Cover and refrigerate.
Re-warm over medium heat before continuing.
Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls.
If desired, top with dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with chives.
Serves well paired with a Pinot Grigio.